Ever feel overwhelmed? As if you just don’t have enough time each week? Join the millions of others that feel that way too. Finding the right balance between home life and work life is hard to do but finding that balance may be the key to your sanity and success! Here are 5 tips to help balance work and home:
- Set expectations and limits. Set limitations and hold your ground! Put in your work time. Then walk away for the day. Allow yourself to say “no” sometimes and when you set a reasonable limitation – stand by it. Most jobs require 8-12 hours a day; work with what you have and make it count so you can have other time set to destress and unwind.
- Don’t discount your social life. You might try to squeeze everything into your one or two days off a week and usually that just does not work. Make time to meet your best friend for lunch or your mom for dinner during the week. This will help free up time on the weekends (or your off days) to focus on your kids, home, and/or significant other.
- Where do you fit in? Go to bed as early as possible and get up an hour early. Having that additional time in the morning will allow you to meditate, exercise, relax, prepare, and face the day with the right attitude. You should have no less than 30 minutes a day that is just for you.
- If it’s broken – fix it. Don’t just stay in the same old rut day after day. If it is not meeting your needs change something in your routine or in your activities. If you want something different you have to do something different.
- Disconnect to reconnect. Insist on at least one hour a day of being unplugged and unconnected (more if possible). Your family can join you on this one. Use this time with no phone, internet, cable, etc., to connect with nature, take a walk, watch the birds, have a conversation, play a board game or just breathe.
There is not a one size fits all for finding the right balance between your work life and home life. Everybody’s situation is different. Use these tips to help you take control of your time and bring some balance into your life. Start today and share below what you do to balance your work and home life.