As a developer, how long is too long to stay in one job? Will staying too long limit your knowledge and exposure to new methods or will job hopping prevent you from mastering certain skills? While there isn’t one correct answer, here are 5 questions for your consideration:
- Are you learning? Are you either expanding your current stack skills or expanding to take on new skills?
- Are you relevant? Do you feel you could quit your job tomorrow and have the skills needed to find an equivalent or better job?
- Are you vulnerable? Have there recently or regularly been layoffs or downsizing? How likely would these cuts be in your department? Are you next?
- Are you motivated? Do you dread coming to work?
- Are you happy? This perhaps is the biggest question of all. If you’re happy, there is nothing wrong with staying. When work really doesn’t feel like work, then you have found a really great place.
It’s usually never an easy decision to stay or go. Even though it’s possible that “the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence,” it isn’t always true. Always carefully consider your next career move.